Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 16: Food truck social

On Saturday I took a break from my home improvement and had lunch at the Food Truck Social event put on by Time Out Chicago. I thought it was a good event to get awareness about food trucks up in the city but the event itself was 'meh.' I forgot my camera so I had to snap some photos with my phone.

The pop-up truck featuring Bill Kim.
I visited the pop-up truck featuring Bill Kim of Urban Belly and Belly Shack first. He was selling a cold egg noodle salad with shrimp.

Egg noodle salad with shrimp.
It was fine. Nothing I couldn't make myself at home. I thought it was smart of him to offer a cool, refreshing salad on a blazing hot day. Next, I went to the Lillie's Q truck for a pulled pork slider with a side of coleslaw. Perfectly fine. Then I got a lamb sandwich and a side of Italian fries at Hummingbird Kitchen's truck. The lamb sandwich smelled a bit gamey and had heavy, winter greens on it. Really heavy for such a hot day. The fries were fine. Ommegang brewery was there selling beers so I got the Beligan pale ale and sampled the amber ale. Both were good.

This was a weird event. There were a lot of trucks that represented restaurants there and I honestly didn't see the point of waiting on line in the heat to sample food that had been sitting around when I could be getting it made fresh in the comfort of a restaurant. The trucks that represented single business entities, like the Wagyu Wagon and the Tamale Spaceship, had lines that were at least 20 minutes deep. I sat across from a man who had waited in the Wagyu Wagon line and he was enjoying a sloppy joe. He said it was good but fell silent when I asked him if it was worth the wait.

I like the idea of food trucks, I like that this event gave them good exposure, but waiting in long lines in the heat is a drag. Period.

I ran into a former coworker on the way out of the event and he was with his wife, who I later learned is a vegetarian. After recapping the items that I sampled, he replied, "Wow, that's a lot of meat." And now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if there were many vegetarian options outside of the dessert trucks and some vegetarian tamales at the Tamale Spaceship truck.

Did you go to the event? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I went to one of these in NY and had a similar experience. The insane lines ruined the experience. Food Trucks are much better in their natural, non-clustered, habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same experience in San Mateo. They recently began to do the events through Off the Grid and have been spreading through Bay Area cities. The food is acceptable, although for the price and wait required combined with the lack of seats and restroom facilities? Not good. Food trucks appear to be more a fad than anything else.

    Also found out that a large number of the food trucks running around in SF are corporate owned as opposed to being owned by smaller restaurants. It seems even less appealing.

    ReplyDelete