Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 21: Phase 2 - Kitchen Seating

Last week I finally installed a seating area in my kitchen. It's been a long time coming and involved a lot of shopping, planning, budgeting and reshuffling.

Before

See my kitchen before? My mobile cart was a stationary open-storage for unsightly items and there were bags all over the floor -- dry food storage overflow. Solving my dry food storage problem during Phase 1 opened up a lot more space in my kitchen and made it possible for me to install a seating area. Now I can have breakfast, meals for two and a comfortable place for people to hang out while I'm cooking.


After

Before I bought the drafting table, I brought a stool into the store just to see if the colors would match. Luckily they did. The drafting table turned out to be a great solution for this space because the floor is slightly uneven where I placed it. All I had to do was un-clamp one of the sides and push the table up and voila! Even surface. Since the finish of the wood and color and design of the stools is very French, I thought this was the perfect spot for my new poster. Remember, this is the same poster I saw in my French classroom nearly every day growing up.

When I have breakfast I leave the table where it is and just sit on one side with a magazine. If I'm having a meal for two, I unplug my Squeezebox and pull the table out to the middle of the room and place a stool on either side. It's quite pleasant.

This change makes me really happy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god, it's finally happened. Alas, I'm not there to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete